Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Reading Slump

Well, I knew that it was coming. I was so lucky with all of the great books I found this winter, that I knew it couldn't last. I have been in a bit of a reading slump. None of the books on my bedside stack seemed worth reading right now--I started several and couldn't fall into a book. I did read HERE, THERE, AND EVERYWHERE after Mary Lee's recommendation. I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the TIME TRAVELER'S WIFE so I figured this one would be just as good. Well, it wasn't. I loved the concept of the book--the whole time traveling through different world lines. I just didn't think the author developed the character or the lines as well as I would have liked. I guess I read for character and for theme. I have to know and love the characters--really connect with them. I never felt that with this book. Now, I admit, it could have been me and my reading mood lately, but I would not recommend Here, There and Everywhere to friends. I just started a new book called NEVER LET ME GO by Kazuo Ishiguro I picked it up at the airport. It is a pretty fascinating read. I guess it would be considered science fiction. I'll keep you posted. I am just happy that I found a book that I like! I was worried there for a while.

On another note, I found the most hysterical children's picture book. I would highly recommend it. It is called SCAREDY SQUIRREL and it is written and illustrated by Melanie Watt. It was recommended to me by friends in Canada and I am soooo happy that I found it. Can't wait to share it with my students. My 6 year old loves it and I am sure my 5th graders will too. Lots of funny adult humor too. Funniest book I've read in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation is turned on.