Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Diary of a Wimpy Kid
by Jeff Kinney
review copy lent to me by a generous student

This was one of the hottest books at our school book fair. It's a quick read, and it's very funny in an "advanced Captain Underpants" sort of way. The student who lent it to me is now reading one of the R.L. Stine Rotten School books, and he thinks Diary of a Wimpy Kid is much funnier. The humor, he says, is more realistic, and just plain funnier.

In a detailed review at the excelsior file, David explains why this book should be considered an illustrated novel, not a graphic novel. He is spot on about this book traveling at light speed through kid culture and somewhat under the adult radar. Diary of a Wimpy Kid was first published on Funbrain.com. Since its launch in May 2004, the Web version of Diary of a Wimpy Kid has been viewed by 20 million unique online readers. This year, it is averaging 70,000 readers a day.

Pick up a copy so that you, too, can be in the "in" crowd in your classroom, and watch for the next four installments. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: #2: Rodrick Rules is due out in February 2008.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:00 PM

    I picked this up last year and watched it slowly pick up steam as the school year ended. This year, it is FLYING through my classes. Half my students also bought their own copy at the book fair!

    I teach 6th grade, so the book is very appropos- most of my students are terrified of moving to the middle school next year and they see those fear's reflected in Kinney's book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished reading the follow-up, Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules. It picks up pretty much where the first book left off and runs at a similar clip. I understand there are something like five books total that will be released. If Kinney can maintain the quality and pacing then I predict these will become one of those evergreen titles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:07 PM

    Appropriate for 3rd graders? Love a good funny book....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Readable by third graders. Desirable to third graders (all those goofy illustrations). Probably lots of third graders will read it. But it's more perfect for kids on the cusp of middle school, or those in their first year of that particular kind of hell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 4th grader loves it. My 6th grader is indifferent. I would have pegged them the other way.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.