Thursday, January 10, 2008

Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George

Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George was my first read of 2008 and it was a great one! I read it after Librarian, Bill Prosser recommended it on his Newbery Hopefuls post in December. I love a good fairy tale and this was no let-down. I can't wait to share it with some of my students who love fairy tales and dragon books. So many others have reviewed it that I'll link you to those rather than repeat all of the wonderful things they've said. I would HIGHLY recommend it. It was a good fantasy. I have trouble finding fantasies that are good for 9,10,11 year olds. Sometimes they are too sophisticated or complex for kids new to the genre. This one is a perfect fit. Lots to think about but one kids would enjoy! And it seems that a sequel is due out this spring! Here are a few reviews:

Miss Erin's Review

Pixie Stix Kids Pix Review

Bookish 37 Review

You can also go to Shannon Hale's blog for an interview with Jessica Day George!

So, I may need to add this to my Top 10 Newbery Picks and make a Top 11 list!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm always looking for great books for my nine year old...ones that aren't too sophisticated. Just discovered your blog and love it.
    Thanks for all the great info.
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this one, too--as a Cybils SF/F nominating panelist, it was one of my personal favorites.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.