Thursday, February 14, 2008

Stories With Echoes

The Castle Corona
by Sharon Creech
illuminated by David Diaz
HarperCollins, 2007

I'm pretty sure Sharon Creech has already written this book once before. Maybe twice. Plucky brother and sister orphans who are mistreated but wind up in the care of interesting grandparent-ly people. Wasn't that Ruby Holler? Merge the brother and sister into one girl character, throw in storytelling and a search for identity. Wasn't that Walk Two Moons?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. Obviously these story bones have great resonance for Sharon Creech, and I think any child who reads by author will be delighted to discover this. Any child who reads by book has at least a one in three chance of reading some version of this story if they dip into Sharon Creech's works and promptly dip out again.

I loved the 56 short-short chapters (also a hallmark of Ruby Holler) and the illuminations by David Diaz. I loved the mood she set with the language and the mirroring of the peasant and noble worlds. I loved the hermits. I want one. I also want a tunnel of hornbeam trees. No need to wish for a wordsmith. I've got Sharon Creech and a thousand thousand others who will keep me entertained for years to come!

2 comments:

  1. I think you're right about "those sotry bones hav[ing] great resonance for Sharon Creech." I've only read Walk Two Moons, and wasn't in a hurry to read Castle Corona, but--illuminations by David Diaz? Can't wait to see those. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that true with authors sometimes? I think this is a great observation. I have not read this book...but am glad to know about it.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.