Saturday, January 31, 2009

What Can You Do WIth A Rebozo? by Carmen Tafolla


During the announcements of the ALA awards on Monday, I was pleased to know so many of the books on the lists. But I am finding that it is just as fun to discover some of the books that I didn't know about. The Caldecott and the Newbery tend to get the most publicity that day, but so many of the other awards share such important pieces of literature for children. Discovering new titles has been fun for me this week.

WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH REBOZO? by Carmen Tafolla is a book I learned about when the ALA awards were presented on Monday. This book was a Belpre Illustrator Honor Book. A great picture book by all accounts. The book starts out with the title question, "What can you DO with a rebozo?" and then continues to answer the question of all of the ways you can use one. You quickly learn that a rebozo is a traditional Mexican woven shawl. Each page gives one or two new ways to use a rebozo--from keeping warm to making a secret tunnel.

The illustrations are stunning --a definite celebration of life and family.

So glad that I found this book! A great addition to the library:-)

1 comment:

  1. I have to get this book for my girls. When I was in Mexico the last time I took some classes, and one of the professors did a presentation on the many uses of robozos. Some I had seen first hand and others I hadn't. I'm sure that the book will remind me of that teacher.

    She also talked about how it was daring for a boy to play with the tasles of a girl's rebozo when they were dating. I'm sure they don't include that one in a children's book though:)

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.