Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Ling and Ting Share a Birthday by Grace Lin

I love all of Grace Lin's books and I especially loved the first Ling and Ting when it came out.  I was thrilled to see that the second book in the series, Ling & Ting Share a Birthday  was due out this month!  I love this series and I love these twins!

Sometimes I am disappointed by the second book in a new series. But not this time! I loved this one as much as I loved the first!  In this story, Ling and Ting have a birthday.  And they share it of course.  The book is divided into 6 chapters (and the Table of Contents is ADORABLE!).  Each chapter tells a little story about the birthday.  Each one is a great story and the stories connect a bit throughout the book.  The humor makes me smile:-)

I spent lots of the summer reading books that would be good for 3rd graders. But I am new to 3rd grade so I am still learning what 3rd graders enjoy. I know how a book might support them as readers but I am still figuring out what they find funny and the level of complexity that is right for this age.

Ling and Ting is a great book for those transitional readers in grades 1-3.  The book is a chapter book with lots of supports--short chapters that each tell their own story, 2 characters to get to know, chapter titles, and picture support. But most importantly, this is a good story that kids will enjoy. I'm excited to share this with students and I so hope that Grace Lin writes lots more about these twins! 

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:10 PM

    This book sounds wonderful! You seem like a great 3rd grade teacher.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation is turned on.